Monday, September 10, 2012

A Day of Remembrance

 
I don't really think there is much I can really say here. I recently took a water taxi tour down the Hudson (more on playing tourist another time) and included in the ticket price for the tour was a pass to the 9/11 memorial. So we went. I thought I would be okay. It was a nice day, people were treating the space as any other memorial site (ex: Washington dc monuments) I've been to, but as I made my way around the site the folks I was with began pointing out names of people they knew. That got me. It wasn't until we passed the memorial gift shop (yes there is one) where testimonies were being played as people purchased shirts, pins, books, search & rescue plush pups that I, admittedly, cried. Not a lot mind you but I got choked up and shed a tear or two.
I won't turn on the tv for the next few days until the stations have played out their memorial specials.
I don't need to watch them. I have my own memories and the memories of survivors I have met and those who lost loved ones to remind me of that day.
I will NEVER forget that day.
(The -under construction- "Freedom Tower" as seen from our boat on the Hudson)
(The entrance to the site is on Albany ST and though there is a long line it goes quick. Make sure to keep you tickets out until you get into the site because they check it several times as you wind your way through the lines and check points)
(The Towering Giant, standing tall, reflecting the face of adversity, watching over the emptiness left behind by hatred as the four corners of the world come streaming together, filling the gaping hole in our hearts with love, hope and the power to rebuild, to move on, but not forget. )

(Click on Image for full view- blogger is cutting it off)

(A photo of a photo -my scanner's not working- that I took roughly 3yrs before the attack. Twin Towers as seen from the observation level at the top of the Empire State building. I did not intend for this effect, that is honestly how the original photo came out)

 Well that's it from me for today.
well actually...
You see that door down there? That's on the inside of the reflection pool... does anyone know why there is a door/panel down there? Its just in the middle there... *shrugs* Probably just for maintenance.
 
Have you held your loved ones close and told them that you love them yet today?
You should.

No comments:

Post a Comment