Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Standards...?



((Another look at the JBTM Cast. I'm still trying to figure out my style and though this still doesn't represent the cast as I see them in my minds eye, its better than what I had before. Yet I didn't mind so much representing them with animals. Perhaps those images shall make their way here at some point in time. ))

This post is going to be more about my art than my writing. At present I'm on ch 23 and the editing is just crawling along, inch by sluggish inch, until I feel it's right to pass on. Alot is being changed with the characters and their interactions, but I feel great attention must be payed to this chapter since the two featured do become important. Spoiler? Perhaps.

But on to more pressing matters. Recently I was offered the opportunity to draw up some comic strips for another web blog (rant blog as it may be)since it's author claims to have lacking abilities in the scribble dept. At first I was excited. Someone actually liked my art enough to ask me to draw for them! So in returned I asked for a few scripts and waited patiently until they arrived with roughly, stick figure drawn story boards. What I received however was not quite what I was expecting. While I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions, I was taken aback by some of the articles I was given. While some were "cute" others were to my opinion, somewhat offensive or lacking in tact.

Now when I used to take acting classes I was always told there is no such thing as bad publicity. That even if you do wrong, it will gain you attention you would have never gotten otherwise, and okay... this is for acting but it sort of does apply here, if'n you recall that untimely printed comic for Garfield back on Vets day. That got some good hits on the Internet because alot of people wanted to know what the hubbub was about, but I digress. As much as I appreciate the offer I don't feel I can take the opportunity. As much as I would like to get myself out there and have my drawing/writing/what have you, seen I don't feel right about it. I want to find my way through good, not controversial means and though I could possibly do one or two of the "cuter" comics I don't think that could be part of the plan, even if I put a disclaimer stating the opinions drawn are not my beliefs.

No, for now I think I will stick with my novels and story illustrations, keeping with ideas I can agree with rather than ones I have to struggle to stomach. Even though I may/will eventually have to touch upon controversy with character development, those are just characters and they are not alone. There will be those my readers can agree with and those they cannot, and they can read into it all they want but they will know it is all just part of the story. They can choose their sides and question whose I am on, but that is all part of the fun of reading, isn't it?

I ask you dear readers. What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment