Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pitchapalooza- Ten Tips to Getting Published


((Drew this a while back of a scene that comes up early in JBTM. The words written are not exactly the text on the page but it summarises the mood of the scene. ^_^'' ))

The other day I attended my first Pitchapalooza. An event where aspiring writers gather to pitch their ideas to a pannel of judges who work in the publishing industry (agents, publishers & published authors).I will begin by saying that I walked away from the event discouraged/disheartened and a bit on edge. I will also add that it would have been nice if the adds for the event had a disclaimer stating that depending on the number in attendence there could be a chance not everyone would get to pitch their ideas, but negative thoughts aside the night, though disapointing for me, was certainly an experience and I cannot say I did not walk away with information did not have before.

Next I want to wish the winner of the evening Ms. Suzanne Wells the best of luck in the writing, editing and the publication of her book/memoir.

Now on to the evening!
I'd have to say that there were atleast 130 people in attendance (all aspiring writers). A greater number than what had been estimated by both the pannel and the location where the event was being held. Granted my numbers may be a bit off but when it's standing room only and shelves had to be moved to make room, the number appears about right. I didn't count when things started rolling, but once everyone was signed up we were told only 25 of the lot would be able to give their pitches, so at random names were called (the person right after me being picked >_<) and the night began. There were many ideas from a scratch & sniff kids guide to NYC to novels about heaven, hell and those that fall in between; handling loss; life in general; dieting; alzheimers; poetry; nature guides for kids shown through photographs; abuse; & a fantasy tale as told through the eyes of an imp; but not everyone had the proper pitch and only one could win the night.

So what was it that the judges said that I took away with me?
1) Make your pitch an elevator pitch.
What is an elevator pitch? To my understanding it is a pitch where you can compare or relate your idea to books already on the market while being able to discern your own from the already published.

2) To establish an elevator pitch you must read! Read anything that might have to do with your topic. (I have some work to do with this one >_<)Also do your research and see how you can put a spin on what's already been done.

3) Take advantage of organizations that might have something to do with yourself or what you want to publish. Get your foot in the door to get your writing out there. For example- During the night the judges told those with Alzheimer related books to contact Alzheimer organizations see if they could contribute their stories or poems to share with the community/ web sites. Another example was a young man with Autism who had a great idea for a kids fantasy series, he was told to contact Autism organizations to see if there was anything they could do to assist him.

4) Take advantage of social networking sites. You can market yourself/ your book on/in places such as Youtube, starting off small and working your way to larger productions that will give your idea/book more attention/notoriety. I was a bit surprised the judges gave this suggestion.

5) I was even more surprised to see the judges tell some of the writers that they could/should go the route of self publication (a route being taken by so many these days, a route that I was told some publishers frown upon. Guess that isn't so much the case anymore, hmm?)BUT with a word of caution for those wishing to add illustrations. Be cautious with self publication and art. You may have the best pictures in the world but that doesn't guarantee they will come out the same on the printed page. They said it was best just to get the words printed and worry about the quality of the art for if and when a publisher picks your book up.

6) Never be ashamed of your idea. Stand strong despite opposition to your idea. Example- one of the pitchers came up with an idea that was so unnerving the silence it brought over the room took the speaker aback and brought the pitch into the realm of near apology. There is always an audience out there for something, it may not be a big one but they are there so if you have an idea, run with it.

7) If you write, have a theme. For example- Poems. If you want to publish your poems try to sort them by theme. If you want them all together maybe place themes as chapters if there aren't enough of a single theme to make a full book. Readers can be picky and wouldn't want poems randomly thrown at them.

8) Be mindful of cost.If a publisher sees that your book/idea is going to cost more to produce than people will be willing to pay for it published (such as if there are extra/ special effects like sound, scratch & sniff, pop ups/ outs etc)then a publisher may not be willing to take the chance of producing the book.

9) You might want to write a series of novels but try to end the first as if there will not be another to follow. (I'm a bit torn on this one because of the sheer length of my novel if it isn't split into two separate books)Publishers are wary of starting a new author with a lengthy series because if the first does not do well they won't have the incentive to publish the rest of the series, a bit like in the movie industry, which brings me to

10) Depending on the type of book, write it like it could/ should be made into a movie. Alot of films are based on books these days. (I have considered this many times though there are things I would add to a film that would be out of place, or not included in the books. It's hard to not wonder who would fit the bill of my characters or how certain situations or characters could be represented and what might be omitted if time restraints forced chapters/events to be taken out.)

I hope this info might help another aspiring writer wanting to someday publish. Also, best of luck to everyone present at Pitchapalooza. It was certainly an interesting/ informative event.

Random note- I have never heard the name I gave my main char before and now in the past week I've heard it three times in different places. Not really sure what I should think about that... kinda thought I had just made it up. I suppose this is all for the better, a real name is more relatable, right?

Heh.

Now looking at my page of pitch notes I have to laugh at how nervous I was. The page is in taters from having been folded and unfolded, twisted and crumpled in my shaking hands. I suppose it was for the best I didn't get a chance to voice myself. I was far too nervous and would have rushed my words, not to mention the fact that my pitch did sound a bit too much like another in the respect of it being about a characters journey of self discovery but, dear reader, in case you were curious
this is about what I was going to say: (Each person was only given 60 seconds to voice their novel, so it is indeed a short summary.)

(Note:If I had done an elevator pitch it probably would have involved comparison to Philip Reeve's "No Such Thing as Dragons" - which I have read- or Christopher Paolini's "Eragon", which I have to honestly admit I have not yet read but know through synopsis' found on the web. Again if you look back at number 2, I still have many many books to read, Eragon is on the list. ^_^')

"Growing up in an isolated village led Gaillen to believe that everything he had heard about the world outside was nothing more than fairy tales and stories made up to scare little kids. But when the heat of the summer threatens his people and bandits ravage his ailing home, Gaillen is forced beyond the safety of the mountains and into the tyrannically ruled kingdom of Aisur where he must face his fears of the unknown to survive in a world more fantastic than the tales he had grown up with. Lost and alone, Gaillen is befriended by the bird like people, the Tsubakin; is robbed and rescued by a renegade knight; and has his heart stolen and broken by a crafty young mage. Together with his new comrades, Gaillen unwillingly becomes involved with the secrets of Aisur and finds that his once sheltered life will never be the same."
"Journey Beyond the Mountains" is/will be a young adult fantasy/fiction novel (series).


12/10- Edit- Just to note there had been 250 people in attendance and only 20 of the lot got a chance to pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment