Friday, September 7, 2012

Highland Games part 1

                                    Kilts! Kilts Everywhere!

The summer's almost over but I'm still having fun making memories. Today's topic: the Scottish Highland Games held at a local garden I never knew existed! With plenty of space, events were spread out all over the main lawn making for a full day of Scottish related activities.
While I'm sure it was nothing compared to the real highland games back in Scotland the event was alot of fun to attend.
Walking in, it didn't seem like much at first. Tents were spread all over the place like a tailgate party, but once we got through the first few we were greeted by joyful tunes of people coming together to share their talents. Further in, food was being set up along stands with information about local Scottish groups/clans and artisans making crafts (like a woman who had set out a spinning wheel and spun wool during the day before settling down for some of the shows, knitting all the while).
Reaching a clearing on the main lawn, troops of bagpipe players formed a circle, preformed a few songs then set out along the ground in a well choreographed march.
(These pictures are a mix of two different clans)
Between the marches there were other events going on (like children's games) and plenty of vendors shops to sift through. I kind of regret having not gotten a card for one of the vendors shops. They sold clothes I thought were really nice and at the time I thought it would be a waste to buy something because it would just sit in my closet. I now have an event one of their items would be perfect for but no way to contact them ;_;. A vendor list was never posted.
(Prep for the Highland Games!)
While I think I actually missed the "real" games later in the day, getting to watch everyone practice was pretty entertaining.
(Weight Throw)
(Caber Toss)
(Teaching a new class of tossers)
(And Toss!)
(And the Caber's got air!)
(Caber Boot camp- Very necessary. You can't imagine the damage a Caber can do to a person)
(War reenactors make the best audience)

I think I need to get myself to Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment